.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
A Collection of Random Thoughts
Wednesday, April 27, 2005
 
Phone sync software
I recently got a new phone (Sanyo MM-7400 multimedia phone). It works quite nicely for what I need, and I have the ability to take pictures, video, download ringtones, etc. As anyone who uses Sprint knows, downloading information (and surfing the web) via the phone is done via Vision. Also, as anyone who uses Sprint probably knows, subscribing to Vision ain't cheap (~$15-25/month depending on what you use it for).

Well, I decided to get a USB Data cable so I could talk to my phone. I just got the cable and no software (the driver that came with it allows me to use my phone as a modem, but that's it), so I now had to find some software. There are the traditional software programs such as FutureDial's SnapMedia and FutureDial Suite, or Datapilot's Software Suite, but I'm cheap and didn't want to pay the $29.99 - $49.99 for the software. After a little searching, I found this gem called BitPim that is free under the GPL, and works fairly well. There are a few glitches of course, but I'm sure not complaining.

Total cost to achieve syncing data with my phone? ~$8 for the USB data cable + approx. 1 hour to read up on BitPim functionality. Woohoo!
Comments:
Where did you get the cable from? Looking for something similar for my samsung a670
 
Ebay, of course :-) One of my favorite places.

http://search.ebay.com/samsung-a670-usb-data_W0QQsojsZ1QQfromZR40
(link may wrap). I'm not sure if there are any problems with the non-OEM cables, but I sure haven't had any problems with mine. As a bonus, it even charges my phone when plugged in!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Powered by Blogger