.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
A Collection of Random Thoughts
Tuesday, August 16, 2005
 
And so it begins again
School starts for my kids (2 out of 3) today. Seems like school starts earlier in the year than I remember, but I think they get out sooner in the summer too, so it all works out. We took a few pictures of them this morning - this was the one of all three of them. Our oldest son starts First grade and our middle daughter starts Kindergarten. They were all very excited, but our son was a little embarrassed that Mom was going to come pick them up from school. The good news? School is only a block away from our house, so they will be able to walk to school.

I remember walking to Elementary school as well when I was growing up, but it was much farther (no, it wasn't uphill both ways, though). It took around 15-20 minutes to walk to school vs. less than 5 minutes here. I'm not sure that I'd be comfortable with my kids walking that far, but the town I grew up in was MUCH different than where we live now. For starters, there were only ~2000 people that lived in town. I think there were a LOT of things that we did as kids that you just don't see that much any more. Our parents often didn't know where we were or who we were playing with (yeah, like that is going to happen nowadays) and simply called us when dinner was ready (or blew a whistle). I suppose I should ask my parents sometime if they were ever nervous about is going off and playing like that, but if they were, they never talked to us about it. Sometimes I feel like I'm being overprotective, but I just don't want anything bad to happen to my kids. I'm sure every parent feels that way.
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Powered by Blogger